Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Playing with key

Time: 4:06 PM, Friday afternoon
Place: My cubicle at client place
Song: Leaving on a jet plane
Mood: High spirited to go home (After all its a Friday)
Climate: Overcast, will start showering any moment.

I was staring at my computer screen and wondering about the line ‘Building your request’ which is flashed on my screen! It has been like this for over last three hours. Then it blinked twice

I had a bad feeling about that. I don’t usually swear, but this time, got the best out of me. I am in the middle of a build* and some how the ‘CONTROL’ key and ‘WINDOWS’ key in my keyboard is stuck up!
I had to type out my username, which has a 'R' and a 'M'.
Each time I type R, the ‘run’ window will pop up
Each time I typed M, every window goes and the chimpanzee on my desktop glares at me.
‘cntrl+C’ and ‘cntrl+V’ are also gone as windows key is already stuck!

90% of any techie work involves copy and paste!
I cannot restart my machine as the 3 hour old build will be lost which is still in progress and I cannot sit for another 3 hour to get this done!
Faced with a big challenge, my not-so-creative mind started looking for solutions.

I searched for folders having an R or M there in it name to copy paste each time. Finally I got my username, letter by letter from some folder and file names. Each time I had to use mosue to copy and paste which is a umpteen task compared to cntrl+c to Cntrl+v!. Now comes the toughest part; I have to get my password also. I figured out that, it is too risky that if I try this too many times, I will get my account locked out which is like the worst possibility :(


So opened a text pad, typed out all the keys and went into the folder names to find the missing letters (I mean the missing alphabets which won’t get typed in note pad as they form some shortcut key as my ‘windows’ and ‘control’ keys are stuck). After a lot of work with F2 key and other keys, I managed to get all the 26 letters.

Wsshhhh ..That was hell lot of work man.(Wiping of sweat from my forehead!!!)

Then started copying the required characters from my text document to build my password and it went in. Then came the surprise bouncer, like the one Dravid got on Perth. But this was rite on my un-helmeted temple. It got me and I was knocked down flat on my back, thinking what next on this Friday afternoon at 4:30 pm! The server to which I had been building my MSI just crashed ……the hours I had been spending for the entire text pad, copying pasting …everything went in vane. When I left office later that night, some phrase rhymed in my mind …..
When god has decided to make you sit back and work on a Friday evening to late night, no matter what all u do, you have to stay back and work :(


Build- A build is a software package which is created by the machine using a building software from a package configuration. Usually a build is a time taking process, which has to be started from scratch if interrupted

No comments: