Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Drive to DMV III



I had two three trips to DMV before this. You will understand better if you follow this first.


I don’t know if it is really getting ‘as stupid as it gets’ or just me!
On last Saturday morning I started of to DMV yet again with a valid original Indian driving license. I had done some research on Friday night to get the DMV address details, also on how to reach there using the public transport. This time I was all alone; ready to travel by bus.

In GA, we have the public transport system by the name MARTA. Here we get all the schedules, maps and other details. I called up the customer service centre to join the dots in public transport system, which will get me to the DMV address. I had to change three bus and two trains to reach my destination. That is

Bus - route 75 to E7 station
Train - E7 to Centre Station
Train - Centre station to N5
Bus - Transit to another county centre - route 10
Bus - county centre to DMV – route 15

As you see, it takes a lot of time as these buses and trains are on different timings. So I took almost 2.5 to 3 hours to travel a distance of 48 miles to find out that, the address I had was wrong! From the first wrong destination, I found out that, there is another DMV in the same county, which sounded/ looked like (They had a snap in the wrong DMV) the one I went two weeks back. I took a cab to the second DMV in the same county once again to realize that I got it wrong twice.

As the person who took my license will be available only in the specific DMV, I had to find out a way to reach there. I called up MR M, who had taken me there first to get the full address (This I should have done on Friday when I was busy finind out the address from internet). He was in the middle of something, but he gave me the location. With help of my roommate and google map, I found that place. To reach there, I had to go by cab for another 36 miles, or follow the route

Bus - Route 15 to County transport centre
Bus - Route 10 to Transit exit
Train - N5 to N11

I didn’t know which Bus to take from N 11 to reach the third DMV address. Some how, I made through this entire route and reached N 11 station. By that time, I had run out of cash and had to find an ATM to pay the next cab. So I took cab to the nearest ATM to see a long queue in front of the ATM (U know the faster you want to go, the lengthier the queue will be!). I was the seventh person in the queue. In my mind, I was thinking what else could go wrong today.

ATM could run out of cash by the time I reach there
The time is already 4:10 pm and the DMV can be closed by the time I reach there
The person I am supposed to meet can be on leave today or left early today.

I got the cash, reached DMV. I asked for the officer at the reception and she showed me in. I went to the counter and asked for the officer, the person at the counter asked me to wait. The officer came to the counter after 15 minutes. My mind was wandering! She asked my original Indian driving license, I handed it over.

DMVO: This does not look like original, it looks like color Xerox.

She took the old Xerox one, which I gave her two weeks back

DMVO: Now both look the same. Which one is original?

ME: No madam, look at the two elephant’s color. (The government of kerala road transport has two elephants in its emblem)

DMVO: This looks fine; here is your US GA license.

Me: Thanks, can I have the copy back?

DMVO: It is illegal to have the copy also, the copy looks like original only. So I won’t give you the copy!

Me: Ok thanks, now you agree I am not a fraud?

DMVO: Ya, now we are straight.

Me: Ok, thanks, have a good day

DMVO: You too man.

I walked out of the DMVO with a gratified smile on my face. Finally I got it!

Even when we are achieving something very small, for which we have to struggle, have to race with time, patience and stupidity, once we reach the destiny, it gives you immense satisfaction. The whole episode of DMV might be a very small think for many, but it really tested my patience and I am happy that I was always able to smile and go back again. After all, I have to go back to DMV with in next two months to change my current address and the date of expiry :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Shanks, you went to DMV Maine right? Your from Maine right?

Shanks_P said...

Hey PJ,
Went to GA - Atlanta .....

Cheers
Shanks