Monday, December 01, 2008

Manju Kalam ........



I struggled for about two minutes to get the rite spelling for 'Manju- manzhu - manzju '- what ever, i mean Winter :) I asked my roomie for the english spelling of manju and he said 'S -N-O-W' and started laughing .... So the title is Manjukalam .... ok about the new experiences in winter ....

It is the last week of November. Starting of another winter season with lots of memory! During my school days, November was always a time with a lot to study, a lot to finish off. It these days bring back memories of cold early morning hours sitting on my balcony looking at the dim light across my compound wall with a text book on my hand. My eyes would be searching for some thing interesting in and around, but not in the book. Eyes will fall back on the books only when I hear foot steps of my mom with a hot black coffee. Most morning would be misty and rainy. I never realized that, those where one of the best November rains I experienced.
Today when I wake up to a cold freezing morning, yes here freeze means, (it literally freezes) I have around 5 to 10 things in my to-do list which includes my laundry, my insurance memo, to my project release dead line, list goes on. Now I feel the mid term exam of November or December is a luxury compared to what I have today. After the exam its care-free days until the next school day / term day start. No need to worry about the back log of emails I need to reply or work pending when I come back after vacation. No worries about the contract renewal or the lease I have signed. But going forward I guess even the to-do list what I have today will be a luxury. I guess that’s what life is all about. But the winter here in US is different. It is more some how paints a painful memory of empty trees, blank looks and dull atmosphere. I have heard that only thing which is good about winter is Xmas. Winter for sure affects my daily life

I started understanding new meanings of shelter: The heated indoor feels like heaven when you are made to wait in the freeze outdoor for 5 minutes by your roomie.



Even after igniting your car, you have to sit in a freezed car with ice over all the windows for 5 minutes to see outside.



Running is as close to impossible as its slippery. So car or heated place 500 feet away means, you are 8 minutes away from heaven or you have 8 minutes before your nose burst with blood or freezes down where you cannot even yell ( Like rose was freezed in Titanic climax :) )



Anything in refrigerator is no more interesting as they are too ‘cold’ that goes for ice cream and beer too



Nature call means taking off layers of cloths in seconds to unleash the power-with-in in-time, otherwise ends up in smelling wet dreams!!!



The only territory on your bed to sleep is where you are already occupied; any other place means dead cold!



Driving nightmares comes with new names as ‘Black Ice, un serviced roads, hidden pavement in Ice. The list goes on and on…

No comments: