Wednesday, May 22, 2019




An SMS message read “ Cricket tomorrow @ 6 AM “ and left me thinking – should I ?
I thought for a while before responding mostly “Mostly no”
My wify is @ hospital for her delivery and I am accompanying her on – pre delivery walk to induce the labor pain while receiving and responding the above SMS. I don’t know how many of you would have given a thought before responding to such a SMS and how many ( read men) would have said “Yes” to that. After couple of trial outs of ‘Inducing pain’ pil – our doctor gave us couple of rest days and I resumed my office regime and hence this blog entry!

As this has been a lean period with projects ( Read – not trying too much to get into a project after 2 years of back to back fire shell projects and the pre-dad scare) every now and then we ( the newly acquired group) get into the good old question of “whatz up this evening ?“( Vaikitentha parypady ?). I had also thought for a while to accompany our fellow bench mates to join them for a beer or two but decided against it thinking – what I would get into if I am little drunk and my wify gets her pain for delivery ? options would be
  1.  Shows up in front of delivery room with a hangover to do the left-right : pre dad walk ? or
  2. To be caught by police on drunken driving while trying to reach hospital :
Somehow I felt the above too options would be too much of trouble and it’s better to skip the ordeal for some time before I settle into a much awaited family life with a young one. Coming back to the SMS, I played cricket after a break of almost 2 years and that too crashed right into an internal unit match with nil match practice and scored 5 runs in 8 balls. The match was fun as I could hardly read the pitch and play my shots but felt good playing after a while. As out of practice, I did not even ask a chance to bowl itself! We lost the match like 70 all out when 130 was required with an over to spare.

So to give an update on my personal score, I am eagerly awaiting my little one’s arrival this week, being on bench for last couple of months conveniently to take time off work and enjoy my parent hoods’ early few days. Wish me and my dear wife a lot of luck !

After note : Blessed with  a baby boy on May 23rd  ! The walk which we often see in movies in front of the labor room and all is far from reality. All you hear there is account of cases going in and going out of the room ( some with C-Sec babies blinking and looking around and normal babies awfully tired). Then comes the series of MIL / MPL with babies to feed or NMs ready to feed their babies left in neo natal ICU – just for the sake of charging us some extra bugs.

Some more to add on : Marking 15th day of parenthood with lot of joy. Wife and MIL suffering  from sleepless nights with little one still sticking on to US schedules for his play time.

posting exactly 5 years after :) 

No comments: